371 King Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Howell and Hyer
News About This Theater
- Jan 5, 2006 — Any other 'Urban Outfitters' theaters?
- Jun 16, 2004 — The Garden Theater (1918-2004)
- Jun 8, 2004 — Garden Theater - Hopes Grow Dim
- Apr 30, 2004 — Garden Theater in Charleston in Danger
- Mar 24, 2004 — Garden Theater in Charleston in Danger
- Oct 10, 2003 — Charleston's Garden Theater For Sale
This old-vaudeville-house-turned-cinema, located a few blocks down King Street from the Riviera Theater, has had the most difficult time of Charleston’s historic theaters.
Erected in 1918, the theater ran successfully until the 1970’s, when it closed. Seven years later, in 1977, the theater was restored.
During the 1980’s, the theater was used for performances during Charleston’s famous Spoleto Festival and eventually transformed into a performing arts space.
The City of Charleston did not renew its lease of the theater in 2003, and despite efforts of the Friends of the Garden Theater, the theater was converted into retail space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.