310 Allegheny River Boulevard,
6 people favorited this theater
The Oaks Theater (Official)
Architects: Victor A. Rigaumont
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
- Jul 11, 2014 — Oaks to get even better
- Jun 29, 2011 — Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Examines the Plight of the Area's Independent Theaters
- Feb 8, 2008 — Local residents save Oaks Theater
The Oaks Theater opened November 18, 1938 with Adolphe Menjou & Andrea Leeds in “Letter of Introduction”. Seating was provided for 660, all on a single floor. It is one of the last single screen theaters in the area.
The theater was purchased by three friends in January 2002 and is continuing to operate as a single screen art house cinema.
In addition to an earlier renovation which reduced seating capacity from 660 to 430, the new owners have renovated the lobby and concession stand while restoring the theater’s vintage marquee. It went over to mainly live music venue use with stand-up comedy by early-2018, but still screens occasional classic movies and participates in film festivals.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.