86 High Street South,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the east London district of East Ham. The Broadway Cinema opened in 1911, operated by the Broadway Cinema Company Ltd., and designed by local architect J.M.H. Gladwell. The seating was all on one floor, but a 450 seat balcony was originally planned for the building.
In 1922, alterations were made by architect F.W. Buen when the exterior was modified and the interior was altered. The proscenium was 38 feet wide at that time. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in 1930, and in 1934 it was taken over by an independent operator.
In 1945, it was taken over by Southan Morris Super Cinemas Ltd. chain and they were taken over by the Essoldo chain on 26th August 1954. Unlike most of their cinemas, the Broadway was never re-named Essoldo, and it closed as the Broadway Cinema on 15th June 1957 with Richard Todd in "Rob Roy, The Highland Rogue" and "Giants in Sport". The building was demolished and the site re-developed for a small block of flats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater