Kingston upon Thames,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of Richmond Road/Clarence Street at Cromwell Road. A conversion of a church hall, the Electric Picture Hall opened on 22nd August 1910 and had a seating capacity for 350. The conversion was designed by architect Arthur Phillips.
It was closed in 1930, for a refurbishment and the installation of ‘talkies’. The facade was modernised and a balcony had been added, increasing the seating capacity to 578. It was re-named Kingston Kinema, re-opening on 10th November 1930 with John Boles in “Song of the West”. The proscenium was 20 feet wide.
On 19th October 1969, it was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain and underwent a modernisation in March 1970 and re-opened as Studio 7. They introduced part-time bingo on several nights a week. In mid-July 1975, Studio 7 began programming ‘X’ rated adult films and operated as the X Cinema Club, screening uncensored films. In August 1976, it reverted back to regular films and closed on 26th January 1983 with "ET – The Extra Terrestrial".
It was converted into a Pine World furniture store and remained in this use for many years. The screen, stage and proscenium were still in place. It was closed and demolished in 2000.
A new development, which contains the 14-screen Odeon multiplex (opened in October 2002) now stands on an enlarged site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater