110 Portland Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Edward Albert Stone
Firms: Norfolk & Pryor
Previous Names: Central Hall Picture Palace, Central Cinema
The Central Hall Picture Palace in the southeast London district of South Norwood is almost identical to the Central Hall Picture Palace in Tooting. Opened in 1910, and located on the corner of Portland Road and Stanger Road, it has a cupola above its corner entrance. Inside the auditorium there was seating in stall and a small balcony level. The proscenium was 21 feet wide.
From the late-1930’s, it was known as the Central Cinema. In 1953, it was re-named Rex Cinema and it was closed in 1956.
The building was converted into a reception hall, known as the Portland Room. In recent years it was converted into a furniture showroom, but this had closed by 2006. In the Summer of 2008, there was scaffold surrounding the building as work commence to convert the building into eleven luxury flats. These were ready for occupation in June 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.