Queen's Hall Cinema
284 Green Lanes,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north London district of Palmers Green. The Queen’s Hall Electric Theatre was opened on 30th November 1912. It was designed in a Tudor Revival style, with a half-beamed facade. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided for 650 on a single level. There was a safety curtain which was painted with a picture of ‘Ye Olde Thatched Cottage’.
In 1923, the cinema had a new owner; Moss Harris, and in 1927 the the building was reconstructed and a balcony was added, giving an increased seating capacity for 1,100. The facade was now in a plain white stone finish, with numerous windows on three levels, allowing light into the circle foyer, offices and projection room.
In 1967, Moss Harris sold the Queen’s Hall Cinema to the Star Cinemas chain based in Leeds. A week after the sale, he collapsed and died. Star Cinemas only ran the Queen’s Hall Cinema for a short time as they closed it on 30th September 1967 with Kirk Douglas in "The Way West" and Robert Hutton in "The Sicillians".
It was converted into a bingo club, but this did not last long. The building was demolished in February 1971, and a supermarket was built on the site, later occupied by Marks & Spencer’s Simply Food supermarket and by 2012 a little Waitrose.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater