St. George's Picture Hall
119 East India Dock Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the east London district of Poplar. The Poplar Methodist Mission was converted into the St. George’s Picture Hall in around 1925. It screened films for a cheap admission price, which was very popular in this poor area of London’s East End.
It was closed in around 1930, as the cost of fitting sound equipment was prohibitive. However it re-opened in around 1936, with a Mihaly sound system installed and it continued, even becoming a cinema with free admission in 1939. This was not to last, as on 3rd September 1939, at the outbreak of World War II, it was closed compulsory (as were all cinema and theatres in the UK for a couple of weeks), the St. George’s Picture Hall never re-opened as a cinema.
Today, the building is in use as a community hall and offices, for the Community of Refugees from Vietnam.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater