New County Theatre
1 person favorited this theater
This was originally the Tabernacle Chapel, built in 1850 and closed in 1911. It was purchased by Mr. James Hare and converted by the addition of a stage some 30 feet in width and 40 feet in depth, a fly tower and a small foyer. In addition the existing chapel balcony was converted and seating for 846 people in all installed. It opened in 1912 as the New County Theatre showing films with two changes of programme per week at prices of from 6d to 1/-.
With the coming of sound a Western Electric Sound system was installed with prices rising to 9d to 1/6d.
Early in World War II the building was used by the B.B.C. to supplement its Llandudno operations. When hostilities ceased in 1944 the premises were put up for sale or rent. It was acquired by the Leslie Blond organisation and re-opened in February 1945 with prices ranging from 10d to 2/6d. Cinemascope was installed in 1956 with seating reduced to 800 patrons. Closure came in 1971, and after a spell as a bingo club it was refurbished and opened as the Octogon Night Club, in which guise it remains today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater