577 Stockport Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Kings Theatre & Opera House was opened in October 1905. Built for the W.H. Broadhead circuit of variety theatres, the theatre had seating orchestra stalls, pit and dress cicle, with boxes on each side of the 40 feet wide proscenium. It screened films in the early days as part of the variety programme, and sometimes it staged plays and even circus’s. It was sold to the H.D.M. Circuit in 1932 and closed as a live theatre in May 1933 with Lena Brown’s “Crazy Week”. It was converted to full time cinema use by H.D. Moorhouse, and the seating capacity given during its cinema use days was for 1,153, far less than the original live theatre capacity.
The Kings Cinema was closed in 1964. It was used by the Adri Irish Club in 1965 and 1966. After a fire in September 1966, it lay empty and unused and was demolished in 1973.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater