Rhode Center for the Arts
514 56th Street,
4 people favorited this theater
The original Rhode Opera House was opened in 1891 and was destroyed by fire in 1896. A new opera House was built on the site and was screening motion pictures by 1901. In 1924 it was taken over by Saxe Amusements. They demolished the theatre in 1926.
In 1927 they built the Gateway Theatre on the site, which opened on December 29, 1927 with Bebe Daniels in “She’s a Sheik”. It was equipped with a Barton theatre organ. The theatre had 1,800-seats. In 1963 Standard Theatres leased the theatre and it was renamed Lake Theatre, reopening on April 28, 1963 with Jackie Gleeson in “Papa’s Delicate Condition”. On March 12, 1976 it was twinned and renamed Lake 1 & 2. It closed in 1984. From 1988 it became home to the Lakeside Players, a community theater group. In 1989, they puchased the building and it was re-named Rhode Opera House.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater