122 Abbey Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grand Theatre was opened on 1st February 1915, with a stage production of "Babes in the Wood". Seating capacity at opening was for 1,000 and the proscenium was 28 feet wide. Later in 1915, it was screening films as part of the variety programme. By September 1915, it was in cine-variety use, and had been re-named Scala Theatre. This name is still located in the stonework on the handsome Neo-Classical style facade.
The Scala Cinema was damaged by German bombs and was closed for repairs for four weeks in August/September 1943. It was always independently operated. It became a bingo club in 1964, although films were still shown on certain evening during the week. The final films at the Scala Cinema were on 27th August 1977 with the double bill; Lilly Lamarr in "The Sexorcist" and Al Cliver in "Waves of Lust"(Una Ondata di Piacere).
The building was sold, and there were proposals to convert to a supermarket, but it was sold again to an Amusement firm and converted into a casino and slot machine arcade. The casino in the former auditorium has since closed and the upper section has been converted into offices. The slot machine arcade remains open on the ground floor in 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater