Linwood Dunn Theater

1313 Vine Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Linwood Dunn Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located in the center of Hollywood at the corner of Vine Street and Fountain Avenue. The building was constructed in 1948 and opened August 18, 1948 as the Don Lee Mutual Broadcasting Building, containing radio and television broadcasting facilities. It was designed in a Late-Moderne style by architect Claud Beelman in association with Herman Spackler. Programs such as the Johnny Carson “Tonight” show and “Barney Miller” were produced here. It is the oldest surviving structure in Hollywood which was built with television in mind.

In 2001-2002 the building was rehabitated by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to hold offices and their film archive. It opened in 2003 as the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, named after the famed silent movie actress Mary Pickford. It is now the Academy’s third facility in Hollywood.

The building also houses a movie theater, the 286-seat Linwood Dunn Theater. It has screenings for members of AMPAS, and also special screenings and events for members of the general public.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on November 21, 2010 at 11:21 am

This picture, from the Academy’s wibsite, has pictures of the Linwood Dunn Theater: http://www.oscars.org/rentals/dunn.html

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 26, 2011 at 2:19 am

Pickford Center is located in a building which originally served as offices and studios for the Mutual-Don Lee Broadcasting System’s radio and television network. It was dedicated in 1948, and was designed by Los Angeles architect Claud Beelman.

The complex originally featured four theater-style sound stages which could be used as studios for telecasts with what the television industry rather disturbingly calls live audiences (as opposed, I guess, to audiences of the undead.) Presumably, the Linwood Dunn Theater occupies one of those four studios.

Hollywood Heritage provides this history of the building (but misspells architect’s Beelman’s first name as Claude, a common mistake. He used the spelling Claud.)

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater