5404 N. Clark Street,
10 people favorited this theater
Opened November 20, 1915 for the Ascher Brothers circuit, the Calo Thetare, which originally seated 880, is located in Chicago’s Andersonville neighborhood on Clark Street near Balmoral Avenue.
In the early-1990’s, the historic Calo Theatre, with its elaborate white terra-cotta facade, became the home of the Griffin Theatre Company, which put almost $100,000 into renovating and restoring the former movie house into a legitimate theatre, the seating decreased to just 135 in its main auditorium.
In the summer of 2004, the Griffin Theatre Company left the Calo Theatre due to rising upkeep and renovation costs, in search of a new home elsewhere in the city.
The Calo Theatre was acquired by Brian Posen in 2005, with the intention of converting the theatre into a three-auditorium venue for local theatre groups to rent, much like Lakeview’s Theatre Building, however, those plans never came to fruition. Instead, the Calo Theatre was reopened as a resale shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater