Garrick Street & Bilston Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the centre of Wolverhampton on the corner of Garrick Street and Bilston Street, with its entrance on Bilston Street opposite the Clifton Cinema. The site had previously been occupied by the Theatre Royal.
The Savoy Cinema was opened by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain on 20th December 1937 with Charles Rogers in “Let’s Make A Night Of It” and Lew Ayres in “Last Train From Madrid”. It was designed by ABC’s ‘in-house’ architect W.R. Glen. Seating was provided for 1,155 in the stalls and 622 in the circle. The cinema had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
The Savoy Cinema was re-named ABC in December 1960. In December 1968, the cafe was converted into a bar, known as ‘The Clock’. Closed on 27th April 1974 for conversion into a triple screen cinema. It re-opened on 13th May 1974 with 59 seats in the former circle, and screens 2 & 3 in the former stalls seating 127 & 97.
Taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named Cannon in November 1986. The Cannon was closed on 17th October 1991 with Tim Robbins in “Jacobs' Ladder” in screen 1, Kevin Costner in “Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves” in screen 2. and Steven Seagal in “Out For Justice” in screen 3. The building was demolished in December 1995. Since September 2006, a nightclub named ‘Oceana’ operates from a building on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater