1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: Thomas Hilton
Previous Names: Palladium Picture Palace, ABC
The Palladium Picture Palace was opened on 15th September 1913 with “Zoe” (aka “A Woman’s Last Card”). It was designed by architect Thomas Hilton. It had a seating capacity for 1,841. Taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in 1935 and re-named Palladium Cinema, the seating capacity was 1,918 (later reduced to 1,841). It was closed for modernisation on 2nd November 1958.
It re-opened as the ABC on 23rd February 1959 with Kay Kendal in “The Reluctant Debutante” and a reduced seating capacity of 1,456. Closed on 1st October 1977 with Barbra Streisand in “A Star is Born”.
It was converted into an EMI Bingo Club which operated from November 1977 to December 1985. However it re-opened as the Palladium Cinema on 20th December 1985 with Walt Disney’s “Peter Pan”, using only 420 seats in the former circle area. This closed on 5th June 1986 with Meryl Street in “Out of Africa”. It continued as a bingo club until 20th September 1987. It was demolished in August 1990.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.