1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Sydney Colwyn Foulkes
Styles: Art Deco
The Regal Cinema was built by Rhyl Entertainments Ltd. in the centre of this North Wales seaside resort. It was opened on 27th December 1937 with Ramon Navaro in “The Sheik Steps Out”. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The Regal Cinema auditorium had an interior exactly matching that in the Palace Cinema in nearby Conwy (same architect), but double the size. On each side of the 40 feet wide proscenium opening were four columns which were edged by an alcove and another two columns adjacent to the auditorium side-walls. Lighting in the auditorium was via the Holophane system.
In 1954, it was the first cinema in the town to be equipped with CinemaScope and by adding the wider screen, an inner column on each side of the proscenium was removed. It was closed in December 1962, and was soon demolished and a supermarket and shops were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.