Merrylands Road and Memorial Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres, Western Suburbs Cinemas Ltd.
Previous Names: Butterfly Theatre, Merrylands Kinema, Merrylands Theatre
Originally built as a drill hall. Opened as the Butterfly Theatre on 7th May 1921 with 633-seats. It was rebuilt and re-opened as the Merrylands Kinema on 19th September 1928 with 980-seats. It was refurbished in 1941 and re-named Merrylands Theatre and was operated by Western Suburbs Cinemas. It was one of three picture shows in the suburb.
Western Suburbs Cinemas was merged with Hoyts in 1944 and it became a second run theatre. A new screen was installed in 1948. Renamed Merrylands Hoyts Kinema in 1954. It had 634-seats in the stalls and 346-seats in the dress circle. Closed in 1959. The building was sold by Hoyts in 1960 and it was demolished in September 1960.
The site became a service station, which was later demolished. It is now is home to a pawnbrokers (Captain Cash) and a Portuguese-Mozambique restaurant which operates as Nandos.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Opened in June 1921 as the Butterfly Theatre. Changed to the Kinema. As listed by CATHS, Merrylands other theatres were the Mall Cinema, 1997-1983, and the newe Hoyts, 2000 to 2010.