No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the resort of Southport, Merseyside. The Pier Pavilion was built at the same time as the widening of the pier in 1901, and opened on 1st January 1902. It was at the shore end of the pier, and was constructed of steel & cast iron. The auditorium had seating in orchestra stalls and a gallery level.
In 1908 the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit took over the building and introduce variety performaces, with silent films as part of the programme, billed as Raymond’s Bio-Tableaux (an early form of cinema). Films were still being screened in 1913.
Many famous artistes appeared at the Pier Pavilion over the years including Gracie Fields, George Formby, Charlie Chaplin, George Robey and Flanagan & Allen. Alterations and a refurbishment were carried out in 1931, and it began presenting West End plays. It was re-named Casino Theatre in 1936 when it was purchased by Southport Corporation. It presented light entertainment for the following 25 years. In 1963 it was leased to the Southport Repertory Company.
The building was condemned by the council in 1970, and was closed and demolished. An amusement arcade named Funland was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater