32-34 Nevill Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Nevill Street Picture House was opened on 13th May 1913. It accommodated 750 in a stadium-layout auditorium; and was designed by Gilbert Wilson of Southport. It included a café which opened some weeks later.
It closed briefly in early-1922 to be remodelled; and reopened on 18th February 1922 seating 1,000. Ownership had passed from Nevill Street Picture House (Southport) Ltd. to Coliseum Cinema (Southport) Ltd; and the name changed to Coliseum Cinema. Western Electric(WE) sound was installed in October 1929.
Ownership passed to Associated Southport Cinemas Ltd. around 1935, at which time the building was modernised. The Classical style façade was replaced by an Art Deco style, featuring one of faïence tiles, vertical fins and neon lighting.
The Kinematograph Year Book 1914 lists the “New Picture Theatre” on Neville (sic) Street, with no other details. KYB 1942 and 1947 give 835 seats. KYB 1954 gives a 21ft wide screen in a 35ft wide proscenium.
In 1957 the Emery Cinema Circuit of Blackpool acquired the cinema. In the face of declining attendances they closed the cinema on 14th November 1959.
In 2014 Silcock’s Amusements in on the site in a different building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater