Shubert Performing Arts Center
247 College Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Shubert Performing Arts Center (Official)
Previously operated by: Shubert Brothers Theater Company
Architects: William Albert Swasey
Functions: Performing Arts
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Sam S. Shubert Theatre, Shubert Theatre
The Sam S. Shubert Theatre was opened on December 11, 1914 with “The Belle of Bond Street”. It was the second ‘Shubert’ theatre to open by the Shubert Brothers, and they operated the theatre until the fall of 1941. By 1950, it was known as the Shubert Theatre, and was operating briefly as a movie theatre.
The Shubert Theatre was closed in 1976. It was later renovated/restored and reopened as the Shubert Performing Arts Center on January 21, 1984. The old adjacent Adams Hotel had been demolished, and in its place was built a new lobby and plaza for the theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Back many years ago, most commercial Broadway shows “tried out” on the road before opening in New York. The Shubert in New Haven was a prime house for such try-out engagements.
True and the Klein in Bridgeport also had a role as a try-out venue, though no movies played there.
1929 and pre-renovation exterior photos added courtesy of below website. Additional interior photos on site. Copy & paste to view.