Columbia Avenue and Morton Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Maywood Theatre, located in the Hammond neighborhood of the same name, opened on Christmas Day, 1927. It originally had seating for about 1,000.
Designed in Spanish Renaissance style, complete with an ornate, white terra-cotta facade, the Maywood Theatre cost over $250,000 to erect.
The auditorium of the theatre had a domed ceiling, lit by cove lights. The Maywood Theatre also contained a balcony and stage, which hosted vaudeville acts in its early years, and later, children’s shows during Saturday and Sunday matinees.
The building the Maywood Theatre was housed in also contained offices and apartments on its second floor, and several storefonts along Morton Avenue.
On September 30, 1936 the Maywood Theatre was renamed the Rio Theatre. Seating was later reduced to 700. After being closed for many years, the old theatre was demolished in 1997 to make way for a new industrial park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater