6-8 Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Ely, Cambridgeshire. The Rex Theatre was opened on 2nd September 1929 with the silent film “Legion of the Condemned”. It was designed by architect Francis Burdett Ward. It had a 35 feet deep stage and two dressing rooms. Initially it had rear projection and seats were only in the stalls area.
It was soon equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system and the first talkie screened was Janet Gaynor in “Sunny Side Up”. It was enlarged to have a balcony fitted, and there was now a restaurant over the main foyer.
In 1945 it became part of the Bancroft circuit, and in later years, the façade was modernised. In the 1960’s it was taken over by C & R Cinemas of Kings Lynn. They sold the building to a development company, and despite a petition, it was closed on 3rd January 1961. The building was demolished and a branch of Boot’s Chemists was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater