453 London Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Lowfield district to the south of the city. The Heeley Coliseum opened on 28 October 1913 with “Notre Dame de Paris”. It closed on 14 January 1961 with Gene Kelly in “The Three Musketeers” and was demolished. Machine Mart now (2014) occupy the site.
It is not listed in the Kinematograph Year Book 1914. The auditorium was set back with its right flank on a side street called Sark Road. The auditorium was designed by W.H. Lancashire & Sons.
British Acoustic sound was installed and premièred with “Whoopee” starring Eddie Cantor on 3rd August 1931. By 1935 it had been remodelled in an Art Deco Style and had a narrow, white faïence façade, the lower part still stands today.
Kinematograph Year Book 1935 has the first mention of capacity: 900 seats.
Ownership, capacity and sound system remained unchanged up to closure. KYB 1957 indicates halls with CinemaScope; the Heeley Coliseum was not one.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater