50 North Road,
2 people favorited this theater
The Globe Cinema Hall was opened on 5th May 1913 with “The New Magdalene”. It was designed by the architectural firm Shewbrooks, Kell & Wylie of Newcastle upon Tyne. Entrance was via a long narrow covered passage on North Road.
It was equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system in 1930 and re-named Globe Cinema and operated by the E.J. Hinge Circuit. It was redecorated and equipped with CinemaScope in August 1955. It began screening ‘Continental’ films, some of which were (X) Certificate, but there were some which today are counted as classics. The Globe Cinema was closed on 29th June 1957 with the 1952 Italian film" “The Sin of Anna (Paccato di Anna), "Secret Conclave” starring Henri Vidon and the 1949 French film “The Dancer of Marrakesh”. The building later became a restaurant which had closed by 2014. By 2019 the former entrance was a restaurant named Bean Social and the auditorium was an Indian restaurant named Alishaan.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater