410 Adams Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Located on Adams Street at N. St. Clair Street. The Valentine Theatre opened on December 25 1895 with Joseph Jefferson in ‘Rip Van Winkle’. It was designed in a Sulivanesque style by architect E.O. Fallis. In 1918 Loew’s took over the lease and it became Loew’s Valentine Theatre. It was converted to an Art Deco/Oriental styled auditorium in a major overhaul of its interior in 1942 by the architectural firm of Rapp & Rapp.
Another remodeling took place in the 1960’s in which the theatre, at the time run by the Armstrong Theatre chain of Bowling Green, OH (which owned it for 10 years after Loew’s abandoned it), turned it into a 70mm-Cinerama house.
A new projection booth was built on the main floor, thus abandoning the upstairs booth, and a custom made Cinerama screen was installed, changing the front of the auditorium by removing the proscenium and stage. This turned the Valentine Theatre into a state-of-the-art cinema. The opening movie was “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”.
Another, interpretive renovation was completed in 1999 long after the Valentine Theatre had ceased showing movies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater