10 George Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In 1794, the Rose & Crown Inn, at 10 George Street, Hastings Old Town, had it’s licence refused. It then stood derelict for a number of years until eventually being demolished to make way for a Market Hall, around 1800.
The hall on the first floor became an Assembly Room, and, like all of its rivals in Hastings became used for every type of entertainment. Films were eventually introduced and proved so popular that it became the Victoria Cinema in 1909, which continued until 1910.
It was refused a cinematograph licence in 1910 as part of the new act, presumably due to it having too a large capacity for just one entrance/exit.
During the 1980’s and with an additional exit, it was an Opera House/Club by the name Il Boccolino, which provided dinner and opera in caberet style surroundings.
16mm art house films were also presented here in the 1980’s by one of the local film societies.
It is currently called Venuu and is an exclusive venue that can be hired for private events.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater