1314 South 500 E.,
Salt Lake City,
No one has favorited this theater yet
On February 12, 1926, the Tribune published a photograph and story noting the opening that day of the Mission Theatre, owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Harrison. The opening movie was Mae Murray in “The Merry Widow”. Designed by William E. Nelson, a well-known Salt Lake City architect, in a Rustic/Mission style, the 400-seat theatre was equipped with a ventilating system and pipe organ. Located about two miles south from downtown, it advertised regularly in the Tribune, had free parking with an attendant, and played second-run films. There was a earlier Mission Theatre, which operated downtown from about 1909 to 1914.
The Mission Theatre dropped out of the listings after January 3, 1929, and in February 1929 Western Organ Sales filed a $25,000 suit against Jacob and Mary Harrison. The court was asked to initiate foreclosure on the five city lots, the theatre, and equipment.
There was no news that the Mission Theatre ever opened again and Mt. Olympus Spring Water later operated at this location at least until 1965. Grant Smith’s Utah Theatres notes there was a Cameo Theatre at this location.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater