Rugeley Road and Church Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Hednesford, near Cannock, Staffordshire. Built as the Public Rooms, it was converted into the New Empire in 1911. Seating was provided for 600 in stalls and circle levels. It offered cinema and live theatre presentations. On 14th December 1914 it re-opened as the Empire Picture Palace. In 1917 it was refurbished and was re-named Picture House Hednesford. It was equipped with a Gyrotone sound system in 1930, the first ‘talkie’ to be shown was “The Desert Song” starring John Boles.
In 1932 it was taken over by the Miles Jervis chain and was re-named Empire Cinema. In 1933 it was taken over by Frank Williams who operated the Tivoli Cinema in the town.
In 1950 it was taken over by Bryan Kennedy and it was refurbished, with the seating capacity reduced to 450. It was taken over by Miles Jervis and he closed it on 16th June 1957 with Kieron Moore in “Satellite in the Sky”. It became a church used by spiritualists from 1960 to 1963. It was then demolished and a garage was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater