72 Hill Street,
Richmond upon Thames,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Richmond upon Thames, Surrey, towards the west of what is today included in Greater London. The Richmond Kinema opened on 21st April 1930. It was built for the Joseph Mears Theatres circuit. It had an original seating capacity of 1,533 in stalls and circle levels. It was re-named Premier Cinema from 29th June 1940 (this was to enable the removal of the Richmond name on the cinema, in case German parachutists landed nearby).
It was taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. from 3rd January 1944 and was re-named Odeon in May 1944. Converted into a triple screen from 30th December 1972. Screen 1 in the old circle is beautiful. It retains the original Atmospheric style auditorium, modelled in the style of a 17th century Spanish courtyard. Features include ornate grillwork, Spanish tiles, Moorish windows, even stone and plaster oranges and doves. Screens 2 & 3 are located under the circle and both have seating provided for 118. The entrance foyer plasterwork depicts all the various trades of the people the original owner (Joseph T. Mears) employed, lots of them.
In 2008, the seating capacities are given as 406, 178 and 178.
The Odeon is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater