1022 Lake Street,
26 people favorited this theater
This classic theatre in the western suburb of Oak Park is one of the best examples of an Art Deco style movie palace in the Chicago area. It opened on April 9, 1936 with Robert Donat in “The Ghost Goes West”. It had a seating capacity of 1,464.
Unfortunately in 1985, the large single-screen auditorium was triplexed, but some of the original elements were retained.
In the mid-1990s, the Lake Theatre expanded to seven screens by extending into a former retail space next door.
The sleek, neon-lit marquee and facade have been relatively untouched.
The theatre has two auditoriums equipped with digital projection and 3D.
The Lake Theatre contains artifacts from theatres of another era. Wall sconces from the Colonial Theatre in Marengo, IL. Statues from the Marlboro Theatre in Chicago. Musician busts from the Southtown Theatre in Chicago. The lobby chandelier and an exit sign from the Will Rogers Theatre in Chicago.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater