No one has favorited this theater yet
A new downtown movie theatre was announced not long after a February 19, 1943 blaze destroyed the town’s turn of the century Auditorium Theatre where many Marblehead residents likely saw their first films. Building a new theatre proved impossible due to material shortages and other issues during World War II. It eventually launched in a retrofitted school building as the Marblehead Theatre on Thanksgiving Day 1943. On September 25, 1948 it was renamed Town Theatre, opening with Judy Garland and Fred Astaire in “Easter Parade”. A. Milo DeHaven operated the venue which had a 200-seat auditorium.
Sam J. Rossi and Philip Pole took on the operation November 12, 1949 running it only on Saturdays and Sundays. With the town’s population sinking to under 900 residents in the early-1950’s, the business environment proved challenging.
The pair sold to Leonard F. Jefferson and Paul Schaub who became the theatre’s final operators. The Town Theatre reduced to just a single day per week operation in 1953 closing after the May 17, 1953 showing of Danny Thomas in “The Jazz Singer” supported by a cartoon short. The building was then offered for sale with all of its equipment. It did not reopen.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater