New York Theatre
7 people favorited this theater
Built on the site of the George M. Cohen Theatre which was demolished in 1938. This small Art Moderne theatre was built by the Brandt Circuit, with Eugene DeRosa as architect, on part of the site of the by then demolished George M. Cohan’s Theatre. The New York Theatre first opened April 19, 1940 as a newsreel theatre, but was soon showing Hollywood revivals and occasional first-runs. In 1957, when Brandt sold the nearby original Globe Theatre for conversion back into a playhouse (as the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre), the New York Theatre was re-named the Globe Theatre on May 22,1958 screening “The Vicious Breed”.
Due to its location at the crossroads of Broadway and 42nd Street, the Globe Theatre became a haven for “adult” movies before switching to hard-core pornography.
In the 1980’s, it was twinned and became known as Cine 1 and 2. Before closing for demolition in the 1990’s, the policy switched from porn to Spanish-speaking imports, sometimes shown without English subtitles.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater