Kirk Douglas Theatre
9820 Washington Boulevard,
8 people favorited this theater
The Culver Theatre opened on August 13, 1946 with a seating capacity of 1,091(on a stadium plan with no overhanging balcony). The Culver Theatre was located near the Columbia Pictures studio lot (then the lot for MGM).
Originally, much like surrounding downtown Culver City, the Culver Theatre was a key part of classic Hollywood’s thriving entertainment community. But, eventually, much of the entertainment industry moved to points north and the theater grew tired and worn over the years.
In 1994, the theater’s auditorium, which had been triplexed earlier, was gutted as part of an abestos removal project.
Today, the Culver Theatre, now renamed the Kirk Douglas Theatre, operates as a performing arts center and playhouse. An $8 million restoration project, with a $1.25 million grant from the City of Culver, included the addition of two new stages, one with 100 seats and another with 350 seats. Most of the exterior has been preserved, including the box office and the signature mezzanine tile.
With the rebirth of the Culver/Kirk Douglas Theatre, the downtown area will receive its first legitimate theater and a much needed shot in the arm.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater