New US 23 Drive-In

5200 Fenton Road,
Flint, MI 48507

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

US 23 Drive-in Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The U.S. 23 Twin Drive-In has been open every summer since 1950, when initially it was a single screen with a car capacity for 1,250 on its 25 acre site. The screen tower had a 5-room apartment for the manager, and in front of the screen tower was a childrens' playground with swings, slides, a merry-go-round and a water tank motor boat ride. The U.S. 23 Drive-In was designed & built by Frank Boomer, and was owned and operated by Louis Warrington and Lee Stallard.

It is now the only drive-in in Mundy Township, a rarity in a country with only 800 remaining drive-ins.

In 2009, a third screen was added.

Contributed by Ross Melnick

Recent comments (view all 25 comments)

steelbeard1
steelbeard1 on January 1, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Become a US 23 Drive-in Facebook friend. Their Facebook page is at View link

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 20, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Cool looking marquee ken mc.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on April 21, 2010 at 1:29 am

1956, it was co-owned by Stallard and Warrington.

TenPoundHammer
TenPoundHammer on May 12, 2011 at 1:43 am

Description’s inaccurate now. This was always the only DI in Mundy Township. For a long time, Flint did have two DI’s (the Miracle Twin being the other) but it wasn’t even close nearby. 23 is now the only one left.

steelbeard1
steelbeard1 on July 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Cinema Treasures has uploaded a TV commercial for this drive in. http://cinematreasures.org/video/us-23-drive-in-theater

Robert Allen
Robert Allen on April 25, 2013 at 9:08 pm

The caption says “…with only 800 remaining drive-ins…”. That may be down from 5,000 several decades ago but is up from 500 just a few years ago.

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on July 13, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Robert, that’s an old caption. I count fewer than 330 active US drive-ins as of July 2017.

Nice ad video, steelbeard1! As great as that sign looks, it’s ever better with the arrow in motion.

TenPoundHammer, the 1949-50 Theatre Catalog already listed two Flint drive-ins. The Corunna West Side had an address of M-21, and the Dort East Side was on Dort Highway. Each had a capacity of 775 and was run by W. M. Rice.

Those two were joined by the U. S. 23 in the 1952 Catalog. For Exec, it listed (deep breath): L. Stallard, L. Warrington, Wallace O. James, Mgr., and William Clark. Capacity 1200. (The Corunna’s capacity grew to 900, the Dort’s to 1010.)

R. O. Fredley was the US 23’s Exec in the 1955-56 Catalog. Its capacity was down to 1130, while the Dort had mushroomed to 1406.

There were four Flint drive-ins listed in the 1959 IMPA – Eastside (Dort?), Westside (Corunna?), Northland, and US 23. With a few name changes that foursome continued through the 1976 edition.

By the 1982 IMPA, those four were joined by the Miracle Red & Blue. All five survived through the last IMPA drive-in list in 1988.

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on July 13, 2017 at 10:00 pm

At WaterWinterWonderland, there’s a 2003 comment by “Cinema Treasures” (hmm), saying, “The second 38 x 76 screen was assembled in 1986 using parts from a dismanted (sic) drive in screen tower, which originally measured 60 x 120, fabricated by Selby Industries. The original wood screen tower was destroyed in a 1997 arson fire and was replaced that year with the remaining parts from the aforementioned screen tower. As a result of the fire, a planned third screen will not be built.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater