241 E. 14th Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Charles Steiner
Architects: Lorenz F.J. Weiher
Previous Names: New 14th Street Theatre, Arrow Theatre
Opened in 1914 as the New 14th Street Theatre, operated by the SWS chain who also operated the Sunshine Theatre and American Movies Theatre. The Greater SWS Circuit as Charles Steiner’s group eventually came to be known, quickly came the largest exhibitor of motion pictures on the Lower East Side. Prolific architect Lorenz F.J. Welher’s design on the New 14th Street Theatre was one of his first for a full-fledged movie theatre rather than nickelodeons.
Around 1940, the theatre was re-named the Arrow Theatre, which stuck until the 1960’s, when it turned XXX as the Metropolitan Theatre (known to regulars as the Met). (Not to be confused with the small Metropolitan Theatre located at 225 E. 14th Street which operated as a gay male adult theatre which has its own page on Cinema Treasures)
Through the decades, the interior was never changed or even re-painted. The original screen still hung against the back wall, with a newer, larger screen placed some feet in front. The sliding glass skylight remained affixed to the ceiling, and soiled red damask covered the walls. The Metropolitan Theatre was perhaps the most notorious porno theatre in New York City. It was closed in 1988.
The theatre has since been razed and replaced by an apartment building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.