Loew's Crescent Theatre

415 Church Street,
Nashville, TN 37219

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Loew's Crescent Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Opened in 1919 as the Princess Theatre at 611 Church Street, when the seating capacity was 1,602. It was forced to move when Cain-Sloan took over the property.

The theatre moved to 415 Church Street in 1949. Crescent Theatres upgraded and remodeled it in 1959 and it had a seating capacity of 830. At this time the theatre got a 45 foot screen and six track stereo sound and a new name, it became the Crescent Theatre.

When the Loew’s Vendome burned down in 1967 the Loew’s took over the Crescent Theatre giving it another new name, the Loew’s Crescent Theatre. In 1981 it was taken over by Martin Theatres and they closed it in 1982. The theatre was torn down in 1994 and replaced by a parking lot.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 143 comments)

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

There a several photos of this theatre posted on this page I wonder how one of them could be posted at the top of the page,with the story of the theatre?

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 22, 2011 at 9:02 am

Jack Coursey has posted 2 photos of this theatre on Cinema Treasures,but they are posted on the wrong Crescent Theatre page.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks to whoever put the photo on this correct page.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on October 31, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Just read on Historic Nashville that the Princess reopened as the Crescent Cinerama on Christmas Day 1959 with a new 45 foot screen.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on October 31, 2012 at 11:37 pm

This webpage has some details about Cinerama exhibition at the Loew’s Crescent.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for the link CSWalczac.

rivest266
rivest266 on February 14, 2016 at 12:39 pm

December 25th, 1959 grand opening ad as well as the Loew’s ad from November 15th, 1967 in photo secton.

Cinerama
Cinerama on April 4, 2016 at 10:24 am

Ads for all the movies that played at the theatre from 01/23/62 to 11/02/67 – http://incinerama.com/crescent.htm

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on March 20, 2017 at 10:02 am

Loew’s didn’t close the Crescent Theater. It was part of the Martin Theatre Circuit from 1981 until Martin closed it on August 26, 1982 as a sub-run discount double-feature house with the awesome “Kung Fu Zombie” playing with “Chinese Connection.” It remained vacant until demolished in 1994 and was demo’d. Also, for what it’s worth, the Princess didn’t move in 1949. It closed on January 2, 1950 in it its old location. It reopened the Princess with its grand opening on March 22, 1951 with “When You’re Smiling” and “Snow Dog. (Of course, the guessy dates and incorrect info is probably fine, too, if it makes for a better story.)

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater