Showing 401 - 425 of 505 comments found
Status of this theatre should be changed to Open, Function = performing arts.
The architect for the Venetian was J. E. O. Pridmore
This theatre originally opened in 1928. In 1936, according to the AFY Yearbook, it was known as the Empress Theatre then with 1,600 seats. The outside facade has a classical look to it, now painted white. In 2004 photos outside facade is still in good shape. Other names it has been known by: Royal Follies, Home of Blue Movies
According to the AFY Yearbook of 1936, the Capitol then seated 1,207.
According to the 1936 AFY Yearbook, the Capitol seats 1,350.
According to the 1936 AFY Yearbook, the Bagdad then seated 1,800
According to the 1936 AFY Yearbook, the Strand at that time seated 1,000.
The Roper Center’s official web page is: http://www.tcc.edu/roper/ From there is some history, renovation info and color photos, both interior. Looks like a simplified renaissance revival scheme, but also possibly simplified by the renovation. The auditorium is fairly wide with a low ceiling – looks like it originally had no balcony and that they reduced the capacity by building a shelf balcony in the middle of the auditorium with all the space behind it converted into separate rooms. Still looks really nice though and very attractive. The page says it was built in 1926.
Accoding to the 1936 AFY Yearbook, the Langley at that time seated 850.
According to the link above, the Suzore was built in 1930 and razed in 1981.
Status should be changed to “open”
Listed in the 1936 AFI Yearbook as having 1,800 seats.
According to the AFY Yearbook for 1936, the Capitol at that time seated 1,024 (now seats 600) and the Strand seated 1,300 (now seats 1,268). From the photos at their official website , the two theatres are side by side with the Strand occupying the corner of a block, the Capitol (with a narrower entrance) immediately to the left. Capitol’s facade is very neo-classical; the Strand’s has almost a late nickeoledeon look. The Strand was built in 1925, and E. C. Horn & Sons were the architects. Cinematour.com has a lot of good photos taken during the restoration. They did a fantastic job! The new balcony looks like it was designed in 1925 – fits right in. The strand looks almost like the auditorium is piggybacked right on to the back end of the Capitol’s stagehouse, almost like the State and Palace in Cleveland. Capitol must have a long lobby… Capitol was previously known as the Theatorium and the Jackson.
Their web page has moved to http://www.pct.edu/commarts/
Their history page has a lot of info:
The theatre was built as the Capitol in 1928, and reopened after restoration in 1993 as the Community Arts Center. It was the largest theater in the area and the first to be equipped for sound movies. It was considered the most beautiful theater in the Comerford, amnd featured cast bronze chandeliers, and a proscenium with trompe l'oeil details. It originally featured stage shows with movies. In 1936 the main level and stage area were flooded, wrecking the organ.
It never really recovered from the flood damage, and limped along until it’s restoration from 1989-1993. Cost was $13,500,000 with the bulk of that coming from Penn College. By 2004, there had been over 500 performances and 1,500 movie screenings, with 911,000 patrons through the doors by Oct. 2006 (774K for live, 128K for movies)
Unfortunately their web page does not show any pictures except a night view of the front facade. The seating plan shows orchestra, loge and balcony but it is hard to tell if the “loge” is a separate level from the “balcony”
The AFY yearbook for 1936 shows the Manor as having 1,146 seats. They must have done quote a remodeling job when they multiplexed it.
AFY yearbook for 1936 lists the seating capacity as 1,636.
AFY Yearbook lists this as 2,858 in 1936. Numbers above should be changed. The other Allegheny theatre did not go by that name in 1936.
According to the 1936 AFY Yearbook, the Aldine seated 1,416.
The entry at Cinematour.com indicates the the theatre is open – even lists a phone number. No info on what it’s current use is.
This is strange. The American Film Review list for 1036 shows a Strand theatre in Erie PA with 1,600 seats. Could that be an earlier building replaced by this one (mentioned above as being built in 1947).
The 1936 AFY shows a Columbia theatre with 1,200 seats listed as closed at that time.
Status of this theatre should be changed to Demolished.
Here’s a direct link to the detailed article about the Variety page mentioned above:
Among other things (a great article) it was built in 1927, at the same time as the Park, with 1900 seats (AFR 1936 says 1,931 seats) with 1,500 in orchestra and 400 in the balcony. The auditorium is turned 90 degrees from the street, angled to the right. At present it is in basically good shape, considering how long it has been closed and the roof and building are structurally sound.
From their seating chart at the official web page it seats 170.
From the Google Maps photo of this address, it looks as if the theater has been demolished.