Comments from CStefanic

CStefanic commented about York Theatre on Oct 24, 2017 at 9:57 pm

I recently visited this site. It appears the church has moved on and the space is vacant… Hmmm.

CStefanic commented about Franklin Theatre on Oct 24, 2017 at 9:49 pm

The theater was once a nice one. Just visited it on 10/17/2017. The floor has been leveled and miniature walls have been erected on the inside, but the stage, and murals on the back wall remain, as does some of the architecture. And in the now walled up lobby area, the painted concession advertisements remain, stating “Ice Cream” and “Refreshments. The site is now used as a fabric manufacturer. I believe it was taken over by this entity around 1984? I will post the two pics I took in the photos section.

CStefanic commented about Palms Theatre on Oct 4, 2017 at 1:12 am

Viewers can get a good look at this theatre in the Charlie’s Angels episode from the first season called “The Big Tap Out” – Farrah Fawcett meets a guy outside. Interesting enough – Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg had a hand in the Robert Altman film “California Split” and the title of said film appears on the marquee for the Palms in the scene. I will try and find the scene.

CStefanic commented about Variety Theatre on Sep 29, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Not that it really matters, but the exterior of this theater was used for the scene when Emma Stone performs her one woman show in “La La Land:.

CStefanic
CStefanic commented about Hologram USA Hollywood Theater on Sep 29, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Does anybody have ANY info on this theatre right now? So far as I see everytime I’m working with the Egyptian, is that it’s shut down. Surely something is happening. (And I’m not calling you Shirley!)

CStefanic commented about Galway Theatre on Sep 28, 2017 at 9:52 pm

IS the auditorium space still there?

CStefanic commented about Fox Theatre on Sep 28, 2017 at 9:48 pm

So what exactly is going on with this theatre NOW? As of 9/28/2017?

CStefanic commented about Aero Theatre on Apr 13, 2017 at 8:23 pm

RogerA – In answer to your question, that WAS the same print that was screened last fall at “Beyond Fest”. The print itself is still stunning. What you probably heard about, was that the film grain isn’t as fine as it used to be – but that’s not the print – it’s the negative, or whatever source which the print was derived. That print was struck for AC specifically and all of us who are involved with AC stand by it.

CStefanic
CStefanic commented about Hologram USA Hollywood Theater on Apr 12, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I just walked by a few days ago (when covering the TCM Film Festival) and the doors are SHUT; the lights are OUT. It appears whatever production was being performed has ceased.

CStefanic commented about Vogue Theatre on Feb 23, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Anybody know what the news is for the Vogue now? I know the supper club moved out. At the very least it should be marked as a landmark. Many a great picture premiered there. “Bonnie & Clyde” being a more famous title.

CStefanic commented about Valley Circle Theater on Feb 17, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Can I get confirmation from someone who may have been working at this theatre when it showed the Sneak Preview Cut of Logan’s Run on May 7th 1976?

CStefanic
CStefanic commented about Hologram USA Hollywood Theater on Jan 10, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Thank you Joe. Any news since? I haven’t seen it yet. I work with Cinematheque and Egyptian a couple of blocks down, but keep on not having time to check out the recent digs.

CStefanic commented about Crest Theatre on Jan 10, 2017 at 8:43 pm

I’m not surprised. The people who re-opened it had NO idea how to draw the masses. They kept showing things on digital (BAD digital) and ignored the public’s cries for what they wanted. they also only screened things sporadically and seldom ever a picture worth seeing. They were to conventional and did not take a cue from any of the other repertory houses: New Beverly, Egyptian, Aero, Silent Movie Theatre, or what LACMA and the Hammer Museum are doing. I think UCLA film department should take it over and hold more screenings there as well as letting certain outside influences program. I think it could still be salvageable but it’s ll about strategy from here on out. Let us pray it succeeds.

CStefanic commented about Biograph Theater on Sep 26, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Can the main theatre at the Biograph still screen cinema?

CStefanic commented about X 1 & 2 Theaters on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I drove by just last night – yup. The auditorium is gone. facade indeed still intact. I tried to peek in the auditorium space at one time, and do not believe there was much of it left to begin with but it’s still a sad loss. Moreso, they filled the land in, leveling it so that there would be no room for renovations or use of the original space. Damn shame.

CStefanic commented about Mann Festival Theater on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Ran inside the Mann Festival briefly while the doors were open for a routine air out. Seats gone but Mammoth screen and decor still intact! Looked so grand…even in the dark! Hopefully this theatre will see the light of a projector again.

CStefanic commented about D'Anton Cinemateque on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Re-Up the photo please!

CStefanic commented about Marquis Theatre on Sep 8, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Re-up the photo please!

CStefanic commented about Regent Showcase Theater on Sep 8, 2016 at 5:05 pm

That’s good to know. I drive by it often – and the fact that it still stands is reassuring.

CStefanic commented about Vine Theatre on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Any word lately?

CStefanic
CStefanic commented about Hologram USA Hollywood Theater on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Has anybody heard any word from the Ritz in the past few months?

CStefanic commented about Variety Theatre on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I went inside recently – as during the summer it us used as a kids art camp. It seems to be housed like a black box theatre now. Didn’t get a very good look. No doubt though, from the architecture and the cozy, intimate and narrow hallway, it was a small neighborhood house in the 30s and 40s.

CStefanic commented about Williams Center Cinema on May 18, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I saw the last film to be projected at the Williams Cinema in April (?) of 1995 – when the Classics series showed “Ben Hur”. Changed my life! Does anybody have any information on whether not the equipment is still there? I know that as of 2007 the screen was still intact.

CStefanic commented about Tower Theater on May 18, 2016 at 11:17 pm

I attended film school at OCU just up the street. My twin and I desperately tried to get interest and investment into the Theatre, but could not do so. Not sure why. It’s original Norelco 70mm/35mm projector equipment were still intact.

If anyone has information on these projectors – if they are still intact – PLEASE E-MAIL ME.

CStefanic commented about Eagle Theatre on May 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Does the Theatre still stand today?