Showing 1 - 25 of 1,746 comments
The Royal Theatre launched in the former skating rink building on May 21,1914 with the three-reel film, “The Journey’s End.” The venue’s cinematic journey would span nearly 75 years under four names though was the Rivoli Theatre for all but around ten years,
New operators took on the fledgling Royal less than a year later and give it a refresh and new name. It relaunched as the Princess Theatre on February 5, 1915 with the film, “Damian and Pythias.” Mrs. A.M.Osborne of the competing Alamo Theatre took on the Princess and renamed it the Family Theatre on February 18, 1918.
Under new operators, the Rivoli got its biggest refresh yet including a new pipe organ becoming the Rivoli Theatre on February 1, 1924. The opening film was Mary Pickford in, Rosita,” The theatre converted to sound and As it headed to the end of a 20-year lease, Hainline and Central States gave the venue a streamlined makeover with neon sign and called the New Rivoli for two years. It reverted to the Rivoli for the remainder of its run.
Kerasotes took on the theatre finally closing it with the final movie playing there on September 7, 1998. The theatre was taken on by locals who used it primarily for live music until its closure.
The Northgate Theatres launched as a six-screen sub-run discount venue on July 30, 1993. Hoping for better things, the Northgate changed its policy to first-run showings beginning on July 9, 1999. The theatre was not able to gain traction and made a brief return to sub-run discount runs just prior to ending operations on January 30, 2000.
The Boone Drive-In launched July 30, 1954 with “Copper Canyon“ and “Hangman’s Knot.”
The Utah Theatre launched May 12, 1916 with silent movies and live entertainment. It was purchased by Clark Kestler and changed names to the Victory Theatre on June 25, 1919. The Victory Theatre was acquired by C.L. Firmage in 1935 who relaunched it as the Firmage Theatre on May 19, 1935. It was in the Firmage family until being sold on April 1, 1983 to the Citi-Cinema Circuit which changed its name.
And it’s still open as T&T Twin Theatres. Website is : https://www.facebook.com/tandttwintheatres/ Phone is 434.864.4551
The first Delta Drive-In Theatre was built by the Delta Amusement Company and was built in 1955. The 300-car theatre had a screen tower 60' high and 84' in width. It launched on June 8, 1955 with the film, “Pffft.” It appears to have closed at the end of the season on August 31, 1972. The theatre had a grand reopening (in a different spot according to the notes above) on May 23, 1975 operating part-year with the Sahara Theatre in downtown Delta. The theatre appears to have closed after the 1983 season.
The Crest Theatre launched at 293 West Main October 4, 1928 with “The Way of All Flesh” with Emil Jennings. Architects were Scot & Welch of Salt Lake City. Fire on September 12, 1965 caused severe damage the venue which was closed for just over a year. The theatre was rebuilt as the Sahara Theatre also at 293 West Main relaunching with “The Night of the Grizzley” on October 14, 1966. The Sahara closed at the end of a nearly 50-year run with “The Sea Gypsies” on May 8, 1978. A salvage / demolition sale was held thereafter as the building was scheduled for razing.
The Kallet Drive-In launched April 20, 1946 with “Cover Girl.” It closed on October 9, 1960 with “Psycho”. It was demolished for the Camillus Plaza Shopping Center that opened n 1964. When the Plaza became the Camillus Mall, movie theatres returned with the Camillus Mall Cinemas I and II.
Frank Deal launched the Met Theatre in the Fall of 1910 on a ten-year lease. As the lease was ending, Deal then acquired the neighboring building and expanded the Met as the new Deal Theatre on October 4, 1920. The theater converted to sound and was still in operation in 1959.
Functions can be anything within the building’s usage past up to and including its current function. It was an auto repair facility and a theatre prior to being torn down.
This theater’s roots date back to its launch as Electric Theatre in 1908. Its name was changed to Theatre Tulare in 1909 and then the Tulare Theatre on March 4, 1916. The T&D Circuit took on the venue closing it in December of 1923 for new projection and a refresh. The New Tulare Theatre was built in late 1926 opening in March of 1927 with former Tulare Theatre owner Paul Reardon continuing as the projectionist for another thirty years.
The Theatre was closed by the United Artists Circuit after showings on August 26, 1975. A major architectural plan was unveiled in 1977 to revitalize the theatre. But a bank purchased the theatre and demolished it in 1980 for a new bank building.
The Majestic Theatre closed for films on March 11, 1916. It had sporadic live sporting events that spring before being taken over by L.W. Willis. Willis changed the Majestic’s name to the Lyric Theatre on October 10, 1916 re-launching with “Fighting Blood.”
Paul Reardon and Alfred Fraught of the Tulare Theatre purchased the theatre at the end of May 1920. They promptly closed it at the end of a ten-year lease. The former Lyric space was converted to an Army-Navy Surplus Store in November of 1920.
The twin screens were named, George and Gracie. The East Screen was named for Gracie Burns and the West Screen was named for George Burns. Closed with a “Grand Closing” featuring “Grease” and “Viva Las Vegas” on September 9, 2006.
Grand opening as the Galaxy Theatres 8 Porterville in photos
The Hanford Opera House launched April 24, 1893. In 1915, a large, $8,000 Wurlitzer pipe organ provided live music accompaniment as the Opera House moved to feature film presentations. In March of 1917, Turner and Dahnken / T & D took on the location. with an automated entry system. On December 19. 1925, T & D took on the Pastime Theatre and created the New T & D Theatre there.
The opera house got another chance when Golden State Theatres took on the former opera house in 1926 under the Golden State Theatre launching November 20, 1926 with “The Marriage Clause.” But a June 18, 1928 fire badly damaged the facility’s facade with equipment removed in August of that year. Rebuilt, the opera house became a mixed-use property in 1932. A major renovation in the 1980s turned it into a hotel opening in 1986.
The Signature Stadium 10 Theatre launched on November 5, 1998. In 2004, Regal took over the Signature Circuit and the theatre was renamed as the Regal Cinemas Visalia Stadium 10.
The Sequoia Mall Cinema by Mann launched November 8, 1996.
The 1913 downtown building once housed an auto repair shop and was re-imagined as a theatre in 1983 by Group 4 Architecture in San Francisco. Culver Cinprise of San Francisco opened the four-flex on December 16, 1983 with “Scarface,” “The Keep,” “The Rescuers” and “Cncommon Valor.”
The Royal Theatre launched on July 2, 1927 with Ken Maynard in “Señor Daredevil.” On September 5, 1929, the Royal converted to sound. It closed for a refresh in December of 1942. Material shortages hampered the effort and under new operators, the Royal re-emerged as the more patriotically named, Victory Theatre on August 5, 1943.
The Victory Theatre discontinued operations on October 3, 1966. It was given a refresh becoming the atmospheric Tropical Theatre on July 13, 1967. The Tropical combined live Hispanic entertainment and Spanish-Language films until closing September 29, 1974 at end of lease. On August 9 1975, the theatre became the Flick Theater / Flick Adult Theatre running at least to 1981.
George F. Ashby launched the 752-seat Ashby Theatre in a retail building shared with a cigar store / pool hall. The Ashby launched February 19, 1912 with live vaudeville and films and a speech by Mayor B.L. Barney. In 1919, the location became a short-lived boxing venue. But new operators Miller & McKee renamed it the Pastime Theatre relaunching October 18, 1919 with the feature, “Gates of Brass.”
The T & D Circuit took on the location closing for a major refresh in December of 1925. The remodeling expanded the size of the theatre. It relaunched as the T&D Theatre on February 24, 1926 with live vaudeville and the Constance Talmadge film, “Her Sister From Paris.” In 1929. the theatre was taken over by the William Fox Circuit / West Coast Fox Circuit becoming the Fox T & D Theatre. Fox closed the operation on December 17, 1929 as it opened the new Fox Theatre on December 15, 1929.
In 1941, it became home to the local newspaper. The building was demolished for a new bank in March of 1974.
The New Ritz Theatre on Irwin Street replaced its predecessor on Seventh with a grand opening on January 2, 1938 with “Talk of the Devil.” KMJ radio did a live remote with “The Pumpkin Center Barn Dance Gang” and 21 radio stars appearing live. The facility once housed the Old Bank Building. The old Ritz on Seventh Street simply replaced a single letter operating for a short time as the Rita Theatre.
Fox West Coast Theatre Circuit sold the after ten years. Golden State Theatre’s operated the theatre equipping it with air conditioning in 1949 but TV decimated business and the Ritz was sold in 1951. It relaunched under one final operator relaunching July 29, 1953. The theatre closed abruptly on October 31, 1953.
A classified ad in May of 1955 offered all interior and exterior items from the theatre in a wrecking / salvage sale except for the 600 seats that were donated to a local church. In 1956, the Ritz was demolished in favor of a parking lot.
The Rialto launched December 11, 1917. In 1945, under A. Blanco, the Rialto converted to Spanish language film. A projection booth fire during shows on September 4, 1950 may have been the final night of operation. The theater was offered for sale including 410 seats and the concession stand in 1951.
The 540-seat new-build Gardella Theatre launched December 29, 1910 (ad in photos). It was architected by Albert A. Plagge.
Looks like it opened as the Favorite Theatre around 1912, transitioned to sound as the Strand which closed with “Gone With the Wind” on April 27, 1940 to undergo a refresh. All seats were sold and it became the Colfax Theatre under new operator, Harold Bowers on October 24, 1940 with “My Love Came Back.”
The Avalon closed November 7, 1948 with “The Lady in Ermine” and replaced by the new Sky Theatre on August 11, 1948. The former Avalon facility was remodeled as an office building in 1950.