Comments from DARCYDT

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:19 pm

The comments are based on Fandango’s listings for this theater as of Friday July 24th (Inside Out). The pricing I listed is for Fresh Meadows, not Bay Terrace. I was pointing out how outrageous the prices are for sister complex Fresh Meadows where everything goes and where they max out the 3D showings. The non chain theaters around say Douglaston, Flushing, even Glen Cove usually only show 1 or 2 showings a day of films in 3D with the rest normal.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:12 am

I’m not against the Korean films, it’s the lack of regular ones. Mostly we get outside a few in their first week, the older films when they are kicked out of the fancier sister theater in Fresh Meadows. To top it off they brought Inside Out back in its 6th weekend, on 2 screens!!!

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:21 pm

No new films except a Korean one the last 2 weeks and ripoff Fresh Meadows getting everything. A couple of weeks ago they lowered the prices on pre noontime showings to $5.49/ Fresh Meadows has raised nighttime to $16.99 + $4 for 3D (almost every showing is always in 3D) to $20.99.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:21 pm

DARCYDT commented about Cinemart Cinemas on May 24, 2015 at 5:18 am

Only 1 major release this month here, Hot Pursuit and it hasn’t done too well at the box office.

DARCYDT commented about Cinemart Cinemas on Feb 18, 2015 at 3:00 pm

So 6 weekends after they got “American Sniper” they have yet to have any further first run releases. Being surrounded by Regal’s Midway and Atlas Mall doesn’t help; I’m sure that chain has first dib on all new releases.

DARCYDT commented about Center Cinemas on Jan 4, 2015 at 9:37 pm

If the theater closes after today as they say the owner rejected a 6 month stay the final pictures to play there are, The Interview, Annie, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tombs, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Top 5 and Penguins of Madagascar.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Dec 25, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Into the Woods too at the last moment.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:54 pm

All right they gave us Imitation Game and Big Eyes.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Dec 23, 2014 at 1:35 am

For the first time in the 17 Christmas seasons I have lived here we are not getting any new releases for the season. Into the Woods and Unbroken, the final wide releases of 2014 are also opening in Fresh Meadows which got Annie, Night at the Museum and The Hobbit this past weekend. Maybe we will join the Sunnyside on January 4 and close also. At least they got last week’s openers. Even the Cinemart which I passed by today is advertising a first run, American Sniper coming in January 16. We used to get every musical (except for “Rent”) but both over there at the sister. Maybe we’ll become a T.J.Maxx like the American in Parkchester, the Barnes and Nobles by St. John'’s and the Borders at the Atlas mall.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Oct 23, 2014 at 4:43 am

Not Fresh Meadows and when did the prices start ending in 9’s.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Oct 22, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Rates are different here now. AM before 11:55 AM down a penny to $6.49. Afternoons before 4 is $8.99 up 24 cents and evenings are $10.49 down a penny.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7 on Oct 22, 2014 at 10:31 pm

According to Fandango there are senior rates still and lower rates for kids. Kids rate at night is $13.29.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7 on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Back on June 3rd I made comments about the price rises and how frequent they were. Today I went to “Fury” here and before 11:55 AM the prices are $8.99. Not even a rounded up dollar. The evening showings are now $15.99, $19.99 with 3D. The theater is crowded too at these prices as opposed to say the one in Glen Cove, recently renovated and only $6 till 5 PM. That theater hardly as anyone there, biggest recent crowd I saw was 11 for the Equalizer opening week. Flushing Main Street charges $5 for the first show and it never really has many people. The girl taking the tickets told the couple in front of me that there was no more senior discount either.

DARCYDT commented about Glen Cove Theatres on Sep 24, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Rather strange but I thought I’d mention it here. This doesn’t usually happen but back to back times is unusual. Monday I went to A Walk Among the Tombstones in the AMC Fresh Meadows theater and since they were having sound difficulties they gave everyone in attendance a pass for a free movie. Now today at the Glen Cove theater I go the Maze Runner and the film freezes (!!!). Actually it was a 2 second clip repeating over and over. Anyway they fixed it and the woman who runs the concession stand tracked me down in the theater and gave me a free pass for a movie at any of their 4 cinemas. I mean this happened back to back visits at different theaters. Still sad about the attendance here. The Maze Runner, #1 this weekend with about 32 mil had only me as a customer at the 1:15 PM showing.

DARCYDT commented about Glen Cove Theatres on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:17 am

I have been here 3 times since it has reopened and it is a very nice place and cheaply priced, only $6 for matinees till 5 o'clock. I worry about their attendance too. My wife and me saw “The Other Woman” there opening week, 6 people 1st afternoon showing. We saw “Million Dollar Arm” there opening week, same first showing weekday, 2 people. Today I went by myself to “A Million Ways to Die in the West” and I was the only person there. I remember in their former life say up to 2012 they used to open later in the day I guess because of this. Yes I know when the kids are out of school it shoukd do better, but still it’s sad. Every time we go to the cinema in Malverne on a weekday it’s always packed, I guess a different audience. But if one goes to the Kew Gardens theater on a weekday in a much more populous area showing the same types of movies as Malverne, the attendances are quite sparse.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7 on Jun 4, 2014 at 1:00 am

I seem to write this every few months now. A year ao I was shocked at prices here and I posted in January that the prices had gone up again. Here we are 5 months later and now the pre 11:50 am showings have risen to $8, the matinees till 3:50 have gone up another dollar to $13.25 and after 4 or so it’s now $15, $19 for 3D. Is this the priciest theater in New York City for regular showings at night?

DARCYDT commented about Brandon Cinemas 2 on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:20 am

Saw only 2 pictures here “The Ghost Writer” and “Atlas Shrugged Part 2” Actually saw part 1 of Atlas at Cinemart. Sad to see it go but it seemed that since it only being a 2 screener it got the films I guess that weren’t projected to do good at the Midway.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7 on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Went to see “Legend of Hercules” here this morning. I was sitting on the left side in the back row, 4 seats in the row. 3 of those new cushion seats had their seat numbers broken off already.

DARCYDT commented about UA Midway Stadium 9 on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

No matinees on the weekend. $13.25 for afternoon showings on the weekend, $10.25 during the week, outrageous.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7 on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Just checking Fandango and apparently the theater has raised its prices since the last time I was here in mid December. The pre 12 PM showings have had their price increased 50 cents to $7.50. The matinee showings starting say from 11:55 AM to 3:55 PM have gone from an already outrageous $10.25 to $12.25 (2 dollars!). Evening performances went up $1.75 to $14 now. Are you kidding me? 3D add $4 and night shows are $18!!!! This is in Queens, not Manhattan.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Nov 27, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Again went here today with my wife to go to the 12:15 showing of “Philomena” (amazing 3 new films here this week) and that showing and the one following were cancelled for technical difficulties; saw it in Malverne instead. The screen would be supposedly ready for the more expensive after 5 pm showings. Theater had 13 busses of school kids there for “Frozen” (our taxpayer dollars at work). Was “Philomena” cancelled to accomodate these children for overcrowding of “Frozen”?The hand dryers in the bathroom also have not worked in months. Also every time one is about to cross the $100 rewards mark on the AMC Stubs card whether you are at Bay terrace or Fresh Meadows the system is always down. I have to fax copies of ticket stubs to AMC to get credit for whatever I attended.

DARCYDT commented about AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6 on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Outside the fact that we are selling tickets for the new Hunger Games movie we have not had a new wide opening release (over 1000 screens) since “Don Jon” and “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2” (also in Fresh Meadows). We are getting basically the usual old Fresh Meadows rejects, Korean pictures and the occasional art house film. This week 3 more new films open in Fresh Meadows including the smaller release “The Fifth Estate” and we get nothing of course. They don’t even have “Fifth Estate” with any scheduled bargain before 11:55 am showings. And if we do get a wide release it usually is also in Fresh Meadows so they can get rid of it first when grosses are dropping but we will still have it. I complain a lot but wonder does anyone know what the story is on this place. Will it ever close? Will it ever be converted to new seats which was supposedly postponed from this year’s late summer?

DARCYDT commented about American Theater on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:00 am

I wonder if Bow Tie will close any of the other theaters they acquired from Clearview. Their Herricks theater in New Hyde Park doesn’t have any recent openers either. Their Main Street theater in Port Washington seems to be losing a lot of new movies to the recently reopened and renovated Soundview theater also.

DARCYDT commented about American Theater on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:55 am

There’s a 10 plex at 161st and Grand Concourse.