Comments from MPol

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,281 comments

MPol
MPol commented about Abandoned America's Gallery of Historic Theatres on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:37 pm

What a beautiful-looking theatre! Love that picture!

MPol
MPol commented about Saving the Terrace, a Masterpiece of International-Style on Aug 8, 2015 at 9:48 am

That looks like SUCH a cool movie theatre! Sure wish we had one like that in the Boston area!

MPol
MPol commented about Success Stories Behind Pittsburgh's Art House Theatres on Jul 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Golly! It would be so nice if Boston had that many art-house movie theaters!

MPol

Golly! It would be so nice if Boston had that many art-house movie theaters!

MPol
MPol commented about 20 Of the World's Most Breathtaking Cinemas on Jul 29, 2015 at 9:00 pm

What fantastic-looking cinemas! I bet they sure add to the whole moviegoing experience!

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Maybe more movie theatre staff people should follow the example of Alamo Draft House and kick chronic troublemakers out of their theatres, with no refund. Alamo Draft House, imho, has the right idea!

MPol commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jul 3, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Imho, the more movie venues that’s available, the more choices in movies that people have to choose from. The fact that so many movie venues have gone the way of movie theatre heaven is unfortunate, because it severely restricts the kind(s) of movies that’re available for people to choose to go and see.

MPol
MPol commented about The Theatre on Your Street: Historic Colonial Theatre in Laconia, New Hampshire to be Sold on Jun 25, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Wow!!

It looks like a cool movie house!!

MPol commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

It would be a shame to see this grand-looking theatre either go the way of movie theatre heaven or to be restored as an over-priced concert hall.

MPol
MPol commented about Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music" on May 23, 2015 at 11:18 am

I saw a 50th-year Anniversary re-release of “The Sound of Music” with my sister and a good friend of hers, in Iowa City, IA, when I made my annual road trip and visit to my sister in Iowa City, IA, and we all had a wonderful time. The film was brand new, and absolutely pristine, to boot. Seeing it on a great big, wide movie theatre screen added much magic and dimension to a cool film.

MPol commented about On The Screen: Cinerama on May 6, 2015 at 12:38 pm

It’s too bad that there isn’t a Cinerama here in the Boston area. I wish there were.

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

One way for theatre proprietor(s) to prevent teenagers from drinking in movie theatres is to implement an extremely strict “We do not serve alcoholic drinks to minors (i. e. people under 21 years of age) policy and get tough on adults in the audience who do share/serve drinks to minors.

MPol
MPol commented about Cinema Treasures and THS Announce New Strategic Partnership on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Sounds cool! I’ll be posting more on cinematreasures.org in the future.

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:21 am

It’s true that spilled beer does stink, but maybe movie theatres who do serve alcoholic beverages should also implement a mandatory “clean up after oneself” policy for patrons who do spill their beer or whatever.

MPol
MPol commented about "Unveiling Brooklyn’s magnificently restored Kings Theatre" From Brooklyn, NY. on Jan 25, 2015 at 9:46 am

This theatre looks like the kind of theatre that deserves a good, thorough renovation! Hope everybody in the area enjoys it!

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:44 am

The various movie theatres here in the Boston, MA area now serve beer and wine (but no hard liquor, i. e. whiskey, to my knowledge.), and so far, there’s been no disastrous results. They do have a policy, however, of not allowing people to bring alcoholic beverages outside the theatre, or they will be subject to arrest and permanent banning from the movie theatre(s).

MPol
MPol commented about "Now that's a Hollywood romance! Couple shock friends by inviting them to the cinema... and then getting MARRIED in front of the big screen" From Birmingham, UK. on Jan 3, 2015 at 11:03 am

This is such a riot! A surprise wedding in front of the big screen of a cinema! Wow! I’ve heard of surprise weddings, but this one tops them all!

MPol
MPol commented about A Tribute to Our Former Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Nov 9, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Well, Mike…I’ll miss you, too. It’s a nice website, and a nice blog. Here’s hoping that the blog comes back up soon, and wishing you the best of luck, wherever you go.

MPol commented about In Defense of the Movie Theatre on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I read the article in ‘We Got This Covered" with interest. It’s an excellent article that gets right to the heart of the matter regarding movie theatres and the fantastic experience that one can have, seeing a movie as it’s meant to be viewed, with a whole slew of other people, whether one knows them or not. No matter how many people claim how wonderful and fantastic watching a wonderful movie on an expensively elaborate home theatre system is, absolutely NOTHING beats seeing a great movie in a real movie theatre, on a great big, wide screen, with the lights down low. The experience is very special indeed!

MPol commented about Blog Hiatus on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:06 pm

As someone who’s enjoyed posting here on CinemaTreasures.org for a long time, I’ve enjoyed the blog a great deal. Here’s hoping that it’s not going on a permanent hiatus.

MPol commented about What about the curtains? on Oct 25, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I think that having a curtain really does add to the experience of seeing a movie in a real theatre. The Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA, and the Somerville Theatre, in Somerville, MA both still have curtains in their big main screens, which is great. So does Cinestudio cinema in Hartford, CT.

It’s a real starter and a real ender to a feature movie, especially a good classic film.

MPol
MPol commented about Beloved Marin cinema could be torn down for housing on Oct 2, 2014 at 8:03 am

“So why don’t Lucas or Spielberg buy it and save it?”"

That’s a good question. They probably should. Even though I’m not a resident of this area, I favor the right of the town/city to have its own movie theatre for people to enjoy.

MPol commented about 50 Years of Pop on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:46 am

Ahh… yes…Mary Poppins! I remember that film, and when I saw it for the first time. It was such a cool film. I liked it when everybody got the “laughing disease”, and ended up floating in the air!

MPol commented about Happy 50th, "West Side Story" on Apr 3, 2014 at 8:42 am

Hi, Cimarron. Welcome to the party! The fact that you’re late doesn’t matter, so don’t worry about it. My love for West Side Story, which began with my introduction to the music back in the summer of 1962, while attending day camp out in Tucson, AZ, prior to entering the sixth grade, when a girl in the group I was with brought in a copy of the LP album soundtrack of the Broadway stage version of West Side Story, and played it for the group. It was then that my love of West Side Story instantly took off, and has continued, unabated, to this day.

I first saw the movie version of West Side Story around Christmastime of 1968, as a high school Senior, and fell in love with this great classic from the start, and I love it still. The first time I saw the film West Side Story in the theatre, it did include an intermission. I’ve admittedly seen West Side Story more times than I can count, some with the intermissions, some without. More recent showings have included the Intermission, however, and I’ve seen some digitally-restored, HD versions of this film too, including showings with live renditions of the musical score from the film by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, which added a whole new dimension to an already-fantastic classic film.

p. s. Pardon my rambling.

MPol
MPol commented about Merry Christmas from Cinema Treasures on Mar 5, 2014 at 7:08 am

Radio City Music Hall….a magnificent theatre! May it never, ever bite the dust like so many other theatres here in the United States have done.