Comments from MPol

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,288 comments

MPol
MPol commented about New Mexico MainStreet Announced Second Annual Historic Theaters Institute in Silver City on April 22 on Apr 23, 2016 at 9:16 am

It’s heartening to see such interesting and informative news on the opening of such a beautiful-looking theatre. It looks like a great theatres for both fabulous movies, and stage plays.

MPol
MPol commented about Renovation of Brooklyn’s Historic Kings Theatre on Apr 20, 2016 at 12:27 pm

This looks like a beautiful theatre! Although I’m not a Brooklyn, or NY resident, it always heartens me to see theatres like this renovated and preserved.

MPol
MPol commented about How ‘New Blood’ Brought Beverly’s Historic Movie Palace Back To Life on Apr 7, 2016 at 11:29 am

It’s heartening to learn about the recent restoration of more old Classic movie theatres that show classic films. It’s a good omen…and a real good step in the right direction, if one gets the drift.

MPol
MPol commented about Watts Theatre Maintains Historic Charm While Meeting Current Film Demands on Apr 7, 2016 at 11:26 am

Everything old is new again, if one gets the drift!

MPol
MPol commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Feb 23, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Another one bites the dust! Sad, indeed!

MPol
MPol commented about Charleston's Will Rogers Theatre in Need of Restoration on Feb 10, 2016 at 12:58 pm

There should be more of these movie theatres with deco marquees. I’m glad they managed to save this theatre from the wrecking ball.

MPol
MPol commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Jan 23, 2016 at 3:00 pm

What?!? Oh, my god!

This is terrible news. Even though I’m not a New Yorker, I remember seeing my all time favorite film, West Side Story, back in the fall of 2006, with my cousin. I drove from Boston to NYC that morning to see it, and to see my cousin, as well. We had such a great time seeing the film West Side Story at the Ziegfeld Cinema. It looked beautiful on that long, narrow screen.

I have some fond memories, and it’s hard for me to picture this theatre going out of business.

MPol
MPol commented about Abandoned America's Gallery of Historic Theatres on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:37 pm

What a beautiful-looking theatre! Love that picture!

MPol
MPol commented about Saving the Terrace, a Masterpiece of International-Style on Aug 8, 2015 at 9:48 am

That looks like SUCH a cool movie theatre! Sure wish we had one like that in the Boston area!

MPol
MPol commented about Success Stories Behind Pittsburgh's Art House Theatres on Jul 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Golly! It would be so nice if Boston had that many art-house movie theaters!

MPol

Golly! It would be so nice if Boston had that many art-house movie theaters!

MPol
MPol commented about 20 Of the World's Most Breathtaking Cinemas on Jul 29, 2015 at 9:00 pm

What fantastic-looking cinemas! I bet they sure add to the whole moviegoing experience!

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Maybe more movie theatre staff people should follow the example of Alamo Draft House and kick chronic troublemakers out of their theatres, with no refund. Alamo Draft House, imho, has the right idea!

MPol commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jul 3, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Imho, the more movie venues that’s available, the more choices in movies that people have to choose from. The fact that so many movie venues have gone the way of movie theatre heaven is unfortunate, because it severely restricts the kind(s) of movies that’re available for people to choose to go and see.

MPol
MPol commented about The Theatre on Your Street: Historic Colonial Theatre in Laconia, New Hampshire to be Sold on Jun 25, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Wow!!

It looks like a cool movie house!!

MPol commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

It would be a shame to see this grand-looking theatre either go the way of movie theatre heaven or to be restored as an over-priced concert hall.

MPol
MPol commented about Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music" on May 23, 2015 at 11:18 am

I saw a 50th-year Anniversary re-release of “The Sound of Music” with my sister and a good friend of hers, in Iowa City, IA, when I made my annual road trip and visit to my sister in Iowa City, IA, and we all had a wonderful time. The film was brand new, and absolutely pristine, to boot. Seeing it on a great big, wide movie theatre screen added much magic and dimension to a cool film.

MPol commented about On The Screen: Cinerama on May 6, 2015 at 12:38 pm

It’s too bad that there isn’t a Cinerama here in the Boston area. I wish there were.

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

One way for theatre proprietor(s) to prevent teenagers from drinking in movie theatres is to implement an extremely strict “We do not serve alcoholic drinks to minors (i. e. people under 21 years of age) policy and get tough on adults in the audience who do share/serve drinks to minors.

MPol
MPol commented about Cinema Treasures and THS Announce New Strategic Partnership on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Sounds cool! I’ll be posting more on cinematreasures.org in the future.

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:21 am

It’s true that spilled beer does stink, but maybe movie theatres who do serve alcoholic beverages should also implement a mandatory “clean up after oneself” policy for patrons who do spill their beer or whatever.

MPol
MPol commented about "Unveiling Brooklyn’s magnificently restored Kings Theatre" From Brooklyn, NY. on Jan 25, 2015 at 9:46 am

This theatre looks like the kind of theatre that deserves a good, thorough renovation! Hope everybody in the area enjoys it!

MPol
MPol commented about "OC Teen Leads Crusade to Ban Drinking at Cinema" From Aliso Viejo, CA. on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:44 am

The various movie theatres here in the Boston, MA area now serve beer and wine (but no hard liquor, i. e. whiskey, to my knowledge.), and so far, there’s been no disastrous results. They do have a policy, however, of not allowing people to bring alcoholic beverages outside the theatre, or they will be subject to arrest and permanent banning from the movie theatre(s).

MPol
MPol commented about "Now that's a Hollywood romance! Couple shock friends by inviting them to the cinema... and then getting MARRIED in front of the big screen" From Birmingham, UK. on Jan 3, 2015 at 11:03 am

This is such a riot! A surprise wedding in front of the big screen of a cinema! Wow! I’ve heard of surprise weddings, but this one tops them all!

MPol
MPol commented about A Tribute to Our Former Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Nov 9, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Well, Mike…I’ll miss you, too. It’s a nice website, and a nice blog. Here’s hoping that the blog comes back up soon, and wishing you the best of luck, wherever you go.