Comments from MPol

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,264 comments

MPol
MPol commented about A Tribute to Our Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Nov 9, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Well, Mike…I’ll miss you, too. It’s a nice website, and a nice blog. Here’s hoping that the blog comes back up soon, and wishing you the best of luck, wherever you go.

MPol commented about In Defense of the Movie Theatre on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I read the article in ‘We Got This Covered" with interest. It’s an excellent article that gets right to the heart of the matter regarding movie theatres and the fantastic experience that one can have, seeing a movie as it’s meant to be viewed, with a whole slew of other people, whether one knows them or not. No matter how many people claim how wonderful and fantastic watching a wonderful movie on an expensively elaborate home theatre system is, absolutely NOTHING beats seeing a great movie in a real movie theatre, on a great big, wide screen, with the lights down low. The experience is very special indeed!

MPol commented about Blog Hiatus on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:06 pm

As someone who’s enjoyed posting here on CinemaTreasures.org for a long time, I’ve enjoyed the blog a great deal. Here’s hoping that it’s not going on a permanent hiatus.

MPol commented about What about the curtains? on Oct 25, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I think that having a curtain really does add to the experience of seeing a movie in a real theatre. The Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA, and the Somerville Theatre, in Somerville, MA both still have curtains in their big main screens, which is great. So does Cinestudio cinema in Hartford, CT.

It’s a real starter and a real ender to a feature movie, especially a good classic film.

MPol
MPol commented about Beloved Marin cinema could be torn down for housing on Oct 2, 2014 at 8:03 am

“So why don’t Lucas or Spielberg buy it and save it?”"

That’s a good question. They probably should. Even though I’m not a resident of this area, I favor the right of the town/city to have its own movie theatre for people to enjoy.

MPol commented about 50 Years of Pop on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:46 am

Ahh… yes…Mary Poppins! I remember that film, and when I saw it for the first time. It was such a cool film. I liked it when everybody got the “laughing disease”, and ended up floating in the air!

MPol commented about Happy 50th, "West Side Story" on Apr 3, 2014 at 8:42 am

Hi, Cimarron. Welcome to the party! The fact that you’re late doesn’t matter, so don’t worry about it. My love for West Side Story, which began with my introduction to the music back in the summer of 1962, while attending day camp out in Tucson, AZ, prior to entering the sixth grade, when a girl in the group I was with brought in a copy of the LP album soundtrack of the Broadway stage version of West Side Story, and played it for the group. It was then that my love of West Side Story instantly took off, and has continued, unabated, to this day.

I first saw the movie version of West Side Story around Christmastime of 1968, as a high school Senior, and fell in love with this great classic from the start, and I love it still. The first time I saw the film West Side Story in the theatre, it did include an intermission. I’ve admittedly seen West Side Story more times than I can count, some with the intermissions, some without. More recent showings have included the Intermission, however, and I’ve seen some digitally-restored, HD versions of this film too, including showings with live renditions of the musical score from the film by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, which added a whole new dimension to an already-fantastic classic film.

p. s. Pardon my rambling.

MPol
MPol commented about Merry Christmas from Cinema Treasures on Mar 5, 2014 at 7:08 am

Radio City Music Hall….a magnificent theatre! May it never, ever bite the dust like so many other theatres here in the United States have done.

MPol commented about Shorter trailers coming soon on Feb 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hmmmmm….it’s difficult to know whether or not shorter trailers will alter the movie experience (for me, anyhow) at all. Probably not for me, though. Whether or not shorter movie trailers should be implemented really does depend on the individual film, however.

MPol commented about Superman turns 35 and more on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

I saw “American Graffiti” 41 years ago, when it first came out, and liked it a great deal. I’ve also seen a number of the James Bond movies, which were also very cool. It’s good to see the great older films re-emerge.

MPol commented about Paramount does away with film on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:29 am

It’s only a matter of time, imho, before other film companies start to really follow suit. Here’s keeping my fingers crossed for smaller, independent non-profit movie theatres and hoping they stay afloat and in business, whether they convert to digital projection or not.

MPol
MPol commented about Why Betting on AMC Goes Beyond Movies on Jan 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm

That’s a good question. I kind of get the feeling that it’s yet another attempt to drive the few smaller, independent non-profit movie theatres that’re left here in the United States out of business, but that’s just my take on it. The dinner-and-a-movie concept is a good idea, but it would have to apply to all movie theatres, eventually.

Also, if AMC avoided playing only the schlockier films that’re coming out nowadays, it might be feasible, but who knows?

MPol
MPol commented about Merry Christmas from Cinema Treasures on Dec 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I, too hope that the year 2014 brings success to the movie industry and that it continues to boom, and that more of the older classics are also played along with newer ones. Digital projection is the wave of the future, it seems. I’ve seen at least a couple of really great old classic films that’re digitally restored: “West Side Story” (my all time favorite film, hands down!), and “Lawrence of Arabia”. I think that there are other classics that’re restored, and that there may be more coming down the road, if one gets the drift.

MPol
MPol commented about Merry Christmas from Cinema Treasures on Dec 26, 2013 at 4:58 am

A belated Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year to everybody here in CinemaTreasure.org.

Radio City Music Hall….aaaaahhh, yes! I remember seeing a special 40th-year Anniversary screening of the great, golden-oldie-but-goody classic film, West Side Story back in early October of 2001, with some friends, among 5 or 6 thousand other people, and loving every minute of it! What a spectacular theatre for such a spectacular event!

MPol
MPol commented about Downtown Buffalo’s only movie theater may soon go dark on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:30 am

Although I don’t reside in the Buffalo, NY area, here’s hoping that the Market Arcade can and will make the move towards digital by raising the money for it. I wish the theatre owner(s) and the Buffalo, NY area residents all the best of luck to keep their only movie theatre in town open!

MPol
MPol commented about *** Comments and Behavior On This Site *** on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’ve admittedly never come across any “flaming” or other antagonisms on this site personally, but reading/hearing about them is sufficient enough to be grateful for the new anti-flaming/insults policy. Thanks again, Ross.

MPol commented about Leavitt Fine Arts Theatre on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

What a nice-looking movie theatre! Although I don’t reside in Ogonquit, ME, I sincerely hope that they’re able to raise the necessary funds for going digital.

MPol commented about Happy Thanksgiving on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I know I’m late in responding here, but here’s hoping that everybody had a great Thanksgiving.

MPol commented about Lansdowne Theatre on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm

What a great photo! Thanks for posting it!

MPol
MPol commented about *** Comments and Behavior On This Site *** on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thanks for the new rules against flaming, Ross. They’re a welcome breath of fresh air. I wish the owners/proprietors of more forums/websites and chatrooms had such rules.

MPol
MPol commented about Honda gets involved with saving drive-ins on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm

The idea of a corporation like Honda getting involved in saving drive-in theatres by giving them free digital projection is new to me! If that’s really happening, then it’s fantastic (in a good way, that is.)!

MPol commented about Tioga Theatre on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:10 am

Although I’m not a resident of Owego, NY, I wish the community all the best of luck in raising the funding for the necessary conversion to digital projection. Both of the independent, non-profit theatres in my area had to do it, and I’m glad to see that they’re both still operating as a result. It’s hard when a cherished movie theatre bites the dust.

Again, all the best of luck to the Owego community.

MPol
MPol commented about Movie theater seating says something about your personality on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Whatever’s comfortable for people…that’s what’s important. Imho, stadium-type seating definitely provides a direct view of the movie theatre screen without looking at the backs of people’s heads, plus it’s probably less of a strain on people with neck problems, etc., because they’re not looking up, if one gets the drift.

I like to sit in the middle of the movie theatre, preferably in an aisle seat, or as close to the aisle as possible.

MPol
MPol commented about Do theaters have to enforce movie ratings? on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

While the movie theatre ratings are guidelines that don’t have to be enforced, one must also bear in mind, however, that there are some movies that’re clearly not appropriate for kids to see due to lots of “blue” language, explicit sex, violence, and extreme graphicness.

MPol
MPol commented about Plans fall apart for Manhattan Drafthouse on Oct 18, 2013 at 3:08 am

Scrapping the plans for an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema on Manhattan’s West Side:

That’s too bad. Although I don’t reside in NY at all, I was sort of hoping that the plan would go through, and that maybe it would pave the way for a possibility for an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema here in the Boston area. I like their zero-tolerance policy regarding texting/cell phone use in the movie theatre during the movie(s). We could use some of that in theatres here!