Comments from PaulB52

Showing 14 comments

PaulB52 commented about Royal & Derngate Cinepod on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

I have taken this image from the Royal & Derngate website and will replace it with a suitable photograph when construction is complete.

PaulB52 commented about Programme on Feb 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm

The address is not strictly correct as the theatre was located part-way down Gold Street, this may have been done to encourage potential patrons away from the Majestic, which was at the ‘bottom’ of Gold Street.

PaulB52 commented about Electric Pavilion on Feb 17, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Further research suggests some remnants of the shop remain. No 10 Gold St was listed in 1952 as an early 19th Century superstructure in stone over a modern shop. The address is now 8-10 Gold St, so further alterations since 1952 have obscured whatever remains of this cinema. A 1972 piece in the Chronicle and Echo refers to a back entrance in College Street, about which only the manager knew. This part was demolished many years ago.

PaulB52 commented about Majestic on Feb 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

My mother once told me she was taken to this cinema, by her brother, to see a ‘Fu Manchu’ film. She screamed so much at a scene involving a spider taht he never took her to the cinema again!

PaulB52 commented about Odeon Northampton on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I have my date wrong on this; films ended in 1974.

PaulB52 commented about Forum Cinema on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Access is via an entrance off the main shopping mall within the Weston Favell Centre of which, structurally, it is a part.

PaulB52 commented about Cineworld Northampton on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

It also spent a period as part of the Virgin chain, after MGM moved out.

PaulB52 commented about New Theatre on Feb 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm

The correct address is actually Abington Street. Reginald Foort, the organist, visited here with his travelling Moller organ, which was placed on the stage. Owing to the size of the instrument, it was necessary to excavate the base of the stage door to get it in. Foort was, effectively a local, being born in Daventry.

PaulB52 commented about Just before removal. on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’m not sure from where I obtained this photocopy of the original image. It may have come from an old copy of the COS Journal; I offer it for interest, without intention to infringe copyright.

PaulB52 commented about Forum Cinema on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I have recently been in contact with the new owners of the Conacher and have been told it is their intention to locate a suitable venue (Not an easy thing to do) and re-install the organ in as close to original condition as possible. Given that I spent a lot of time with it many years ago, i think this is fantastic news and I wish them every success.

PaulB52 commented about Tivoli Cinema on May 7, 2012 at 7:43 am

It is now a furniture outlet known as ‘SofaKing’, which recently received national press coverage owing to some objections to the advertising phrase, our prices are ‘Sofaking’ cheap. I have no idea what it means!

PaulB52 commented about Forum Cinema on May 7, 2012 at 5:30 am

The surround was left in the cinema as the decision was made to restyle the console to match its new surroundings. A mahogany laminated blockboard was used and the original, as I recollect cream and green coloured, was cut up and used in the school woodwork department. On one occasion I discovered the section which covered the relays above the pedalboard, in the woodstore, cut in half, so I cleaned it up and re-united it with the console. When the school bought the organ, for £100, the installation team was allowed a further £100 to complete the job, so it was all done on a shoestring.

The group which went on to buy the Wellingborough Compton for Bilston Town Hall, had hoped to buy the Conacher. I think I am right in saying that the school accepted an offer for £350 from the people who took it to Kent where, it seems, it is in the hands of an organ builder. Having spent a few years caring for this temperamental beast, I hope it remains intact when re-installation eventually occurs. Unfortunately, a number of theatre organs have been shorn of their traps and percussions when ‘taking the cloth’!

PaulB52 commented about ABC Wellingborough on May 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The Compton organ was removed to Wellingborough Technical Grammar School (later Weavers School). It has subsequently, around 2008, been removed to Bilston Town Hall, restored and modified and use for dance music.

PaulB52 commented about Forum Cinema on May 5, 2012 at 5:48 am

The Conacher organ was sold from the school around 2006 and today seems to be in the hands of a Kent-based organ builder. There is a possibility it may be re-installed in a church, but whether or not it will be complete is unknown.