Jacey Marble Arch
523 Oxford Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the basement of British Industries House office block, the Monseigneur News Theatre was the last of the five London news theatres to be opened by that chain. It opened on 22nd February 1939 and on the following day it presented a large screen television presentation of a boxing match between Boon and Danahan, using its Scophony installation.
It was taken over by the Jacey chain in June 1960 and it was re-named Jacey Marble Arch (it’s location was at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street next to the Marble Arch Pavilion Cinema). It began screening a mix of ‘adult’ soft porn movies sometimes mixed in with family orientated films. This didn’t last long and the cinema was closed in mid-December 1967 with the double (X) bill “Galia” and “Who Wants to Sleep?”.
It was converted into a small shopping arcade and then later into a Pizza Hut restaurant, which still operates in 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater