3 people favorited this theater
The Shaftesbury Cinema was opened by Sir Charles Wilson MP on Saturday October 20 1928 with the film “Beau Geste” plus, on stage, the Black Dyke Band. The seating capacity was 1,603. Behind the screen was large stage measuring 25 feet by 26 feet which was used to hold live concerts. Five months after opening, a large ballroom was added to the building.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) from 1939 and they continued to operate it until it was closed on 27th June 1958. Star Cinemas took over and they resumed films until 27th October 1962 which it became a bingo hall.
It reopened as a cinema again from 19th October 1964 and finally closed on 25th June 1975 with “Death Wish” and “Bad Company”.
The front ten rows were removed and the building was used as a Sikh temple. The auditorium was demolished in July 1980 leaving just the entrance, which is now used as a cafe, and the adjoining parade of shops.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater