1 person favorited this theater
Originally opened as the Olympia Cinema on 12th October 1912, it was located on Viaduct Street between Green Street and Oxford Street and was around the corner from the (now listed) Empire Picture House, it is one of the towns oldest cinemas.
After a short period of closure, it re-opened on 25th December 1916 as the Star Picture House and from 11th February 1929 was re-named the New Star Picture House. It was known locally as the ‘fleapit’ or ‘the rumble’, the latter is probably due to the fact that the railway carrying the mainline trains into Huddersfield Station is only 20 feet accross the road. On 3rd August 1939 a fire broke out in the building which destroyed the stage and screen.
Renovated and remodeled in an Art Deco style to the designs of architect J.H. Freer of Kirkgate, Huddersfield, it reopened as the Majestic Cinema on 25th January 1940. The Majestic Cinema continued in business until 1964. It became a retail store known as Majestic Designs.
The auditorium became a car repair facility known as Majestic Motors and apart the stalls area, the cinema remains totally intact in use as a car storage and hire firm. The projectors and equipment are still positioned in the projection box. The current owners take great pride in the upkeep of the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater