Princess Picture House

3 Northumberland Street,
Huddersfield, HD1 1DT

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Princess Picture House

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Originally built as a wool merchants warehouse. It was converted into the Princess Picture House, which opened on 19th May 1923, and was designed by local Huddersfield architect Clifford Hickson.

It was owned in 1943 by Princess Pictures Ltd., had a proscenium 24 feet wide, and also had a cafe in the basement and a dance hall within the building.

It was reputedly a very pretty cinema. The Princess Picture House closed as a cinema on 24th April 1982 with Richard Gere in “Yanks”

It later became an up-market restaurant, then a nightclub and bar which closed in 2005. The building was converted into an up-market casino which will opened in 2008.

The Princess Picture House is a Grade II Listed building.

Contributed by Ian Grundy

Recent comments (view all 11 comments)

KenRoe
KenRoe on May 10, 2007 at 7:33 am

Part of the building is listed as currently being the Rumboat Carribar.

jasper
jasper on May 11, 2007 at 7:12 am

The Rumboat Carribar is situated in the basement- which is where the restaurant and Dance Hall were situated

jasper
jasper on September 14, 2007 at 8:15 am

Take a look at the visuals at www.casinored.com In July 2007 this company were given a license to convert the building into a casino. They have said that they will restore and retain the buildings origional features. If they are as good as their word, this must be better than the building standing empty and decaying

Ian
Ian on September 14, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Another (September 2007) photo here:–

View link

curlew
curlew on January 13, 2009 at 6:37 am

Upon completion of the restoration Casino Red went into administration after spending 1000’s on the place it traded for only four weeks- be interested to see whats happening now

curlew
curlew on January 13, 2009 at 6:39 am

Upon completion of the restoration Casino Red went into administration after spending 1000’s on the place it traded for only four weeks- be interested to see whats happening now

curlew
curlew on January 13, 2009 at 6:40 am

Upon completion of the restoration Casino Red went into administration after spending 1000’s on the place it traded for only four weeks- be interested to see whats happening now

HJHill
HJHill on September 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm

The high, coffered ceiling gave the place cavernous acoustics and the warm ambience of a mausoleum. Projection was from the rear of the stalls. In the balcony one felt cut-off from the rest of the auditorium, as little of the stalls was visible from up there. Noises of people moving about reverberated around the space under that ceiling.

At the end of the 1960s the Tudor-bethan, panelled foyer still boasted a small, pre-war, sign proudly proclaiming that the sound system was by Westrex!

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater