MGM Waltham Cross
88-102 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, which today is at the northern extreme of Greater London. Built for the Shipman and King circuit who operated the Regent Cinema directly across the High Street. The Embassy Cinema was designed by the architectural firm Howis and Belcham with interior decoration by noted cinema interior designers Mollo & Egan. The Embassy Cinema opened on 18th November 1937 with Robert Taylor in “His Affair” and Don Ameche in “Fify Roads to Town, and was a most attractive cinema lit entirely by indirect lighting. It had a small stage and a Christie organ formerly installed at the Court Cinema Berkhamsted. The walls were silver grey and the seats red.
It closed for tripling in 1972 and unfortunately the decoration was entirely concealed. A fourth screen was later added in the former restaurant. It was taken over by Cannon Cinemas, and was last operated by MGM Theatres.
All the cinemas closed on 16th September 1993 and the former Embassy Cinema was now de-tripled—and blandly decorated—for its bingo hall use. The Gala Bingo Club was closed on 2nd January 2017.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater