Weekend Picture Palace
39-40 Surrey Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Croydon, a district in the south of Greater London. The Bio Picture Land opened in May 1910 inside the Market Hall building. Initially there were no seats, as the audience stood to view the films. Later in 1910, a small fire in the projection box closed the building. It re-opened after refurbishment on 20th March 1911 as the Standard Picture Playhouse, with a seating capacity of 300.
In 1914, it had a new owner and was re-named New Standard Picture Playhouse. Another owner refurbished the cinema in 1918 and because it now opened on a Sunday (previously forbidden) it was re-named Weekend Cinema. Seating was now provided for 350. From 25th December 1920, it lived up to its name, as it only opened on Saturday & Sunday. It was closed in 1923.
Today, the building has long gone and the site is now part of the Grants development, which includes a Vue 10-screen multiplex cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater