Lower Cardiff Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Palladium Cinema opened in 1935 with the film “The Camels Are Coming” starring Jack Hulbert. The cinema had a café attached, for the convenience of patrons. It was operated by W.E. Pritchard. When he died in 1945 it was taken over by the Paramount Picture Theatres Ltd. chain, based in Welshpool.
The screen was 35 feet wide on CinemaScope format. It was installed in front of the old proscenium in order to ensure they had a bigger screen than the opposition council run cinema, which incidentally is still open. The Palladium Cinema or the ‘palled’ as the locals called it, was closed on 22nd October 1977 with Henry Brandon in “When the North Wind Blows”. The equipment at the time of closure consisted of 2 Kalee 20 projectors, a British Acoustic(BA) sound system and 2 Kalee Vulcan arc lamps.
It was converted into a supermarket, and demolished in the late-1990’s when a new purpose built store opened.
This was a great loss to this small town of ours. The chief projectionist the late John Hughes (John Palladium) was there more or less from the very beginning, until the closure.
After demolition they built a Jobcentre on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater