No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of Duke Street and St. Petersgate. Planned by the Union Cinemas chain, they had been taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in October 1937, and the Ritz Cinema was completed and opened by ABC on 3rd January 1938.
The original seating capacity provided for 1,627 seats in the stalls and 716 seats in the circle. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Ranks organ, which had a curved console, opened by organist Wilfred Southworth. There was a large stage, dressing rooms and cafe-restaurant.
It was renamed ABC in 1961, and in November 1970, it was closed for a month to convert the stalls seating area into a ‘luxury lounge’ seating area. The ABC was taken over by an independent operator on 2nd April 1978, and it reverted back to the Ritz name. The Ritz Cinema was closed in December 1982, and was demolished. An office block name Regal House was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater